Monday, June 13, 2011

Long Trails

What is today Sunday, Monday?  I'm too tired to remember anymore.  It's my 13th day on the road and it has been one of my favorites so far.  Just saying 13 days doesn't seem like a long time, but because I have been measuring the days in distance rather than time, it has felt like 800 miles and not 13 days.  I left Middlebury fairly early and got some food, chatted with a Middlebury swimming and diving alum about cycling for a bit, and took off.  The Green Mountains in Vermont, let me just say "Wow".  The Greens were amazingly beautiful.  Rock formations on either side of the road, streams turning into waterfalls every couple hundred feet, and beautiful mountains at every turn.  If I were to compare the beauty of the Adirondacks and the Greens, I would say the green wins easy.  True the Ads have more lakes, and you can see further to vast stretches of rolling hills, but there's something romantic about the Greens that the Adirondacks lack.  For me at least.

 They reminded me of back packing through the Wind River Range in Wyoming when I was a freshman in high school.  There aren't a lot of people there, and that's how I like nature to be.  Having tons of people disconnects you with your environment, and to not sound too much like a hippie, it disconnects you with the world.  Now, don't worry, I'm not about to start meditating or anything, but when you are in an area that looks, smells, and feels like it did hundreds of years ago and you take a moment to let it all sink it, it is truly sublime.  It is a great feeling, it really is.

Not too far into the Greens I came to my first major ascent. It was a 1500 foot vertical climb with parts reaching 12 degrees.  I did not know that I was coming up to such a climb until I was 3/4 done with it.  I was out of breath and I was pushing myself really hard.  Eventually I stopped and was like "There has to be a top to this thing.  I mean I feel like I've been climbing non stop".  So I looked at my map and realized where I was.  Duh.  I got to the top, took in the sites for a bit, and began my descent.  I wanted to just rocket down, but there was a lot of water on the cracked winding roads hugging the mountain. Even though I was riding my breaks before every turn, I was still flying.  I reached 42.6mph and I could have reached well beyond that.  It was nuts.  I can only imagine how fast I could have gotten.  Geese.  Luckily I was able to get another big downhill with some dry roads before the day was through. 

After four hours of mountains and then 1500 feet of more vertical I was hungry.  I stopped in this little place where I was told to get their Banana Pecan Pancakes.  Oh how that sounds good, but breakfast was over.  I died a little inside when the waitress told me that.  Instead, I got a turkey swiss and avocado melt with a side salad.  For dessert...get ready...a Vanilla Maple Syrup Malted Milk Shake.  OOHHHHOHOHOHOOHO YEAH!  The maple syrup was fresh Vermont maple syrup made two shops down.  It was heavenly.  If someone said to me, "Hey Evan if you had to eat..." I would interrupt them there and say Vanilla Maple Syrup Malted Milk Shake for the rest of my life, yes.  It was that good.  If only I could have had the pancakes with it.  Oh Damn.

After more mountain climbing I met up with these two students from Princeton.  One was getting his PHD and the other one had just graduated.  They were from Sweden and decided to take some time off and bike the states for a while.  I am terrible with names and I feel bad I forgot them.  They were both really nice people.  We cycling for a while together, but eventually I pulled ahead of them after the second major climb and downhill.  1000 feet vertical feet of climbing at about 10 degrees.  It was tough, but beautiful.  The way down was a bit more dry than the first descent and I made it up to 45.3mph.  That was fun.  Especially on winding roads.

I'm going to cut this short because I could not be more tired than I am right now.  At the end of the day I made it through the Green Mountains In a single day of riding.  80 miles through mountains, and I worked my ass off.  It was spectacular and I recommend driving, camping, lodging, (or riding) through them to anyone. It's a great experience.  I made it from Middlebury Vermont to Orford, NH.  When I got to Orford I went into town, got a large phili cheese steak and mac-n-cheese with ground beef in it.  I ate that in about 5 minutes.  I also go two 22ozs of Long Trail Brewery's Amber Ale.  They are a micro brewery (or macro im not sure) out of Vermont and this beer is great.  Get it next time you are up here.

I'm going to bed though.  Good night and as always, thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. Evan, WOW...your day sounds absolutely incredible!! Have a great time, but PLEASE be safe and SLOW down!!!! You may be in control. but you are unable to control the unknown. We want you home healthy, happy, and in one piece!! Yes, listen to your mother!! I love you so much!! momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place for a road trip if only for the Vanilla Maple Syrup Malted Milk Shake. Must go on the bucket list. However, we're with your mom, slow down. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. while i generally am more of a risk taker and love speed, i would agree your your mom about speed. falls at speed do not end will not end well for you. you have no protection against road rash and the other consequences of a fall that are more serious. so, we would love to have you make it back in one piece without a visit to an ER.(please). as you can see there are several of us who enjoy your writing. at times we can each see ourselves with you along the route, seeing the sights and smelling the mountain air. keep up the blog. we are all jealous.

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this makes me want to ride across the U.S. (even though riding bikes is not my favorite thing to do). This sounds like soo much fun, I would love to travel through all those small towns and see all the nature! I am glad you are having such a great time!! Good luck with the rest of the way.
    ~Your best cousin (seeing that I am the only one who commented/ keeps up with your blog),
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being so faithful on your blog - it is wonderful reading about your trip! I, too, will echo your mom and dad - p-l-e-a-s-e be careful going down those mountains. Not only do we need you back in one piece, we need you to be fully functioning, too. Keep up the great writing!
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why couldn't the bicycle stand up for itself? Because it was two-tyred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kindof echo what your mom and dad said regarding the descents. It's fine to bomb down if you can see an end to the road. You never know what is around a bend (cars, animals, people, holes, tire eating cracks. Also, keep in mind that braking causes heat build-up on the rims... heat buildup on rims can cause tubes to rupture.. and you don't want to have a blowout going 40+ MPH. 40 on dry clear roads is fine.... 50+ on wet roads.... not so much.

    ReplyDelete