Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 7

Day 7

Lazy sunday, meet lazy tuesday.  As I stated in my last post I was thinking about taking today off to recover from my leg injury.  I still woke up around 5:00am, but I stayed in my tent to about 9:15am or so.  It would have been really great if my leg wasn't in pain.  Breakfast consisted of two bananas and some granola.  After walking around for a bit, looking at the water and trees I decided it was lunch time.  I road on into town without my gear (felt weird) and found one of the two open dives in town.  One said steaks on it for $15 as the special, no thanks, the other said home made malted milkshakes, yes please.  At the local malt shop I ordered a chicken tender sandwich with ranch and of course a chocolate malt.  Totaled me around $8.00 but it was well worth it.

After lunch I rode around town and to this historic lighthouse where there was some battle of 1812.  I didn't go in due to the scam of charging every body to see a piece of history but whatever.  Still cool to be there.  Because the town was only a mile from my camp site I decided to ride a few more miles to Burnap's Fruit Farm.  I picked up some pasta sauce for my 1/2lb of pasta left and some cherry tomoatos.  The woman was also kind enough to give me some salt from the restaurant.  That will help for the future, especially with my camp famous hobo-stew.  Mmmmmmmm.

My way back to camp I found a cemetery on the side of the road.  It looked incredibly old so I checked it out.  Almost every grave stone was eroded away to the point where you couldnt read the lettering, but some of which have been laid down and new ones have been put up.  I took a picture of one man who fought in the revolutionary war and died in 1814.  Amazing.  What a life.  He fought for the birth of our nation, and lived through our second war with the british.  Wow.  I stopped and paid my respects for a few minutes to all of the lives that helped shaped our country to what it is today.

Entering camp I saw these signs that I hadn't seen before.  There had a bicycle on the front so I was sure I would have seen them before.  If you're only doing one thing you tend to notice anything with a symbol pertaining to what you are doing.  Under the bike says "Bike The US for MS".  I was told there would be a group of bikers coming but I wasn't sure I would see them.  There are 21 in their group and they all raised money for MS so they could do this trip.  The group leader was the first one there (he traveled by van).  We started talking and he gave me a beer.  1st free beer of the trip so I was very thankful.  The rest of the group eventually showed up and I talked to nearly every person for a bit.  Some invited me to join them, although very tempting I wanted to do it my way.




After talking for a bit I learned that each person had to raise about $4,445 to ride $4,445 miles.  It sounded like a great cause and I wish them the best luck.  I may even see them in Seattle when I get over there.  Who knows?

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing few days!!!! It really is great that you are taking the time to explore and learn about the areas you are visiting. Sounds so cool!! We miss you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were young (before TIVO and all that stuff) we'd look forward to special TV shows. We look forward to your blogs the same way. We get a little history, sociology, gastronomy and humor, great humor.We feel like we're with you as your descriptions are so well written. What a lifetime adventure. Take care of your leg. Stay safe. G and A

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog so far. keep it up and call your mother. very cool trip. you will love the country when you get into the lake george region. watch out for the hills, have fun on the downslope and do not hit roadkill
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your leg continues to heal. Sounds like you are eating well! :) Cool stories Evan, I can hear your voice in your blogs, it makes me smile! Sounds like you are really enjoying your ride! :) -Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, thanks everyone! I'm having a blast as you can tell. Oh, and I'm eating around 6000-7000 calories a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/chronicles-of-narnia-lazy-sunday/2921/

    ReplyDelete