Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"I'm Goin' on Break"

The ride back from Bar Harbor was much better than the ride into Bar Harbor.  my legs had two days of rest and were feeling great.  They did have to be conditioned a little bit, but after an hour or two they felt like rocks again and performed like machines.  I learned from my mistakes coming into Bar Harbor and just enjoyed the ride.  It went much faster and I enjoyed myself that much more.  Riding 90 miles that day felt like 20.  Time went by so fast, it was really enjoyable again.

Around 5:20 I entered Camdon, ME, got some ice cream, and walked to a tavern I visited on my way up north.  They had really good pizza and beer last time I was there, so it was n obvious call in my book.  Like always, I headed for the bar.  No, not because I love to drink, but because when you are own you own, you can always expect a fun time sitting at the bar.  People are usually interested in why you are alone and want to hear your story.  If not, you can always keep a conversation with the bar tender.  That's always a a good time, and if not there's usually a TV tuned to Sports Center.

Sitting at the bar to my right were these three scruffy looking guys.  They looked a lot like I look, so we started talking.  I guess it followed the "Similar to Me" relationship most people have in new places.  They asked me what my deal was and I the same.  What I learned though, was that these guys had just sailed from Key West.  They were the crew on some guys boat and this was one of two stops they had made.  Apparently the engine on the Sail Boat needed repairs this time, and the last time they had stopped in NJ for fuel and supplies.  That's Awesome!  They said that the weather was mostly nice, but a few days they had about 34 knot head winds and they only were going about 2 mph for a long time.  That sucks, but the trip sounded Awesome.  I would love to sail like that, just think of how incredible that would be.  Maybe that's my next trip........?

So after a few local beers, pasta, garlic bread, a salad, and the check I headed about ten more miles to my cap site.  Turned out that it was a nascar sponsored one so it was expensive.  Somewhere like $31 for a crappy tent location.  My average is about $7 with electricity, wi-fi, and water.  This place sucked.  Thank God there wasn't a nascar event anytime soon or I would have went nuts.  It was quite however, so I can't complain.  It was also a nice night allowing me to sleep without the rain fly over my tent.  I wasn't worried about the due in the morning since I was sleeping on dirt, and I checked the weather to make sure it wasn't going to rain.  Although there was a canopy of trees above my head, there was a show put on for my by the local fire flys.  They blinked on and off creating an effect of blinking and shooting stars.  It was really pleasant to fall asleep to.

Waking up was a bit chilly, but I was off again and making great time.  I called Katie a few times that day (today) because it was (is) her last day at cosmetology school ever.  Her mom specifically booked her the entire day, which I thought was really nice.  She's usually booked by a bunch of people anyway so to have her mom for the day seemed to be a good change of pace.  Congratulations Katie!

That day went really fast as well.  I knew I was going to see my old roommate that night, and the next day we were going to brewery hop around the state.  Best of all, I was going to ride in a car for the first time in about 3 weeks.  "That's going to be weird".  My last stop was in Freeport, ME just north of Portland.  The campground was called "The Desert of Maine" so tell me, how could that not be promising.  When I got there I learned that glaciers deposited a whole hell of a lot of sand in this region, and about 100 years ago farmers here over worked the land, exposing the sand.  Ever since then sand has been taking over the area and now covers over 200 acres.  It is really strange to walk from this lush forest into this massive sand dune, and back to the lush forest.  Really weird.  The sand reaches more than 20 feet tall in some areas and has covered a house that stood near the natural creek.  The campground also houses the original barn from the farm dated back to 1749 (I believe that's the right last two digits).  The barn is still held together by the same wooden pegs and still has the original farm equipment inside.  It is really cool.

Okay, back to present tense.  Finally.  I have no service here.  Joe is currently driving here and even though he has a GPS and the address, this place is tricky to find.  It's tucked away on a dead end street with barely any markings.  Trust me.  I was going about 5mph on my bike, in broad day light, and it's still hard to find.  My tent location is even more difficult to see.  I am tucked awake in the back of the camp ground, down this trail, and perched above a little cliff overlooking the natural spring.  Haha, let's see how Joe does. 

7 comments:

  1. Evan, Your time in Bar Harbor sounds amazing!! It is such a beautiful area with so much incredible food and scenery. I am so glad you were able to relax and enjoy this very special place. You know, you can NEVER, EVER have enough Lobster!! YUM!! You have accomplished an amazing feat and you should be very proud of yourself!! We are!! Have fun with Joe; enjoy the beer and pubs and as always be careful honey!! I love you, momma xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and BTW, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom calling me the man. Awesome. Haha thanks mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience. It's interesting that you've had such a craving for ice cream. Ice cream may be nature's most perfect food. Well, maybe not, but we like it. A lot. Glad you are enjoying everything and you'll probably never regret biking instead of riding to Bar Harbor. Congrat's on your Mille Miglia. We are proud of you and you must also be proud. Enjoy the pubs and we hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A man who was riding a tandem was stopped by a police. 'What's the matter officer?', asked the rider.

    'Perhaps you didn't notice sir, but your wife fell off your tandem a mile back . . .'

    'Good grief', said the rider - 'I thought I'd gone deaf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Q: What do you call two bicycles that are welded together?

    A: Siamese Schwinns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evan what was you total miles for June. I don't have a clue how many bike miles it is from Detroit to Bar Harbor ....

    ReplyDelete